ABBE MAY


Abbe May does love a bit of rock 'n' roll…which is why she surprised the hell out of everyone with Kiss My Apocalypse - an exploration of pop sensibilities that have been hardened with the guise of erogenous Doom Pop. Topping iTunes, ARIA, and AIR charts, her second album could easily be one of 2013’s best Australian release contenders. And there probably hasn’t been a review yet that's left out the words 'brave', 'cool' or 'sexy' to describe this album’s feat. 

But it’s all not about the record. Behind the romantic apocalypses and life karmageddons, there is the incredibly authentic inner songwriter who is unbridled in May. We see that she is not only opening her heart again, but she’s unafraid to be innovative as a solo female artist. Does she care about whether people like the new direction or not? Probably not...but that makes us admire her more. Before embarking on her national tour, Abbe May shares a few words about her new album, themes of seduction, and the balance of Karma.


Known initially for a grungier, rock-infused edge, how did the transition into a more pop-based (Doom-Pop/Goth ‘n’ B) sound come about for your new album Kiss My Apocalypse?

We wanted to experiment. I didn't want to make a second Design Desire, so we worked on remixing elements of recordings of rock songs I had written and sort of stumbled upon a drum machine and a synth-heavy style of pop.

You’ve mentioned that your songs sometimes get played during screen love-making scenes. What would be the ideal setting for Tantric Romantic?

Tantric Romantic is a love song. It's about romance. I think it is deeper than just sex. But if I must…it should be for something wild. Maybe sex in public. Maybe it should just be for a wank scene.

Do you believe love karma?

I believe in consequence. As for that whole notion of "You get what you give" - maybe not from the person you gave to but it’ll come from somewhere. Things find a way to balance themselves. There's a great quote from Karma, “I saw that.”


Your lyricism is quite in-the-moment and vernacular: “I open my mouth and the suburbs come out.” How much of your songs relate to how people perceive you?

My lyricism is honest. I write from my own perspective and experience. People's perceptions of me will definitely be influenced by my songs. But only certain parts of me are released in music. You will only ever know a part of me through my songwriting.

Shirley Manson recently commented on Beyonce Knowles’ banning of photographers in concert pits (in a bid to avoid ‘unflattering’ photos) was a surrendering to the ‘subtle sexism’ of media and society’s mentality. Do you think that women in the entertainment industry, particularly in the music industry, are more scrutinized than their male counterparts? And if so, why do you think this still happens?

Probably. This still happens mainly because women subscribe to it. But men do too. It's more an example of our society's general superficiality than it is a case of sexism. I think Shirley makes a great point.

With the recent passing of iconic and irreplaceable artist, Chrissie Amphlett, we are reminded of the growing lack of dominant, strong woman leading Australia’s music scene, and in particular, rock. What is to be said for the next generation of female artists coming through at the moment?

With any luck they will continue to evolve and experiment and not feel pressured to repeat history so much that the turgid stench of rock and roll nostalgia clogs up the creative heart of the musical population here...and kills it forever.

Famous last words...

I loved rock and roll.

  • MTD
  • +