HARTS



Darren Hart is one of those rare multi-instrumentalists; guitar, bass, keyboards and drums all add to the one man show producing palette of this Melbourne musician and singer/songwriter. His latest EP, Offtime, mixed by Lars Stalfors (The Mars Volta) is a combination of the best music that has influenced the musician across the years, such as disco, 60’s rock, disco, 80’s glam and pop. With charismatic delivery and multifaceted producing hands, Hart’s could very well be Australia’s counterpart to Devonté Hynes of Blood Orange fame, but with a little local vigour thrown in.


To quote Harts: “I want to create a sound that covers all the bases of the music that has influenced me…(a sound) that just isn’t around these days.” What do you think makes music from the bygone eras, such as disco and funk, so novel in comparison to modern music?

I think that music from those eras, such as the mid to late 70s, used elements of credible musicianship, impressive playing and talented songwriting to create the basis of their music. That was the base. The way it was created had a credible art form to it. No computers. These were real musicians playing real instruments. Even in disco music. Those bass players were the kings. People like Bernard Edwards. There are so many points of impressive playing and great songwriting in those golden eras of popular music. I just don't see or feel the same listening to modern popular music today. It ain’t got the same soul.

And of course I'm not against electronic music (computers) - I love it! I encourage artists to embrace it. It can be used very artistically. But modern artists today are relying too heavily on their technology I think. If they spent some time learning and mastering their instruments I think that would impress me more than a whole bunch of effects masking the fact that there's little depth to their talent. 

How did you manage to connect with Lars from The Mars Volta, who mixed your EP?

Lars mixed the whole EP after hearing some of my initial demos of the songs way back in 2011. He heard The Music and reached out to do a radio mix of it. I sent him the tracks, and got back the mix. I was really happy with his work so he kinda offered to mix the whole EP. But to answer the key question…I’m not really sure how he found me to be honest. The most likely reason I suspect is through a mutual friend.

Are you planning to work together in the future?

We've been in contact for a while now and I think we're both keen for it. If all goes to plan, I'd love to.

Speaking of Offtime, it’s had an incredible response both in Australia and internationally. For new listeners, what can they expect from your first release?

I think new listeners can expect to hear good, credible talent creating exciting and great timeless music. My music is a seamless blend of electronic funk, soul, rock, and pop. Definitely expect groove, guitar, killer melodies and pounding drums.

You’re a pretty phenomenal guitar player, and multi-instrumentalist. When did your love affair with music begin?

I guess it began when I was about 15. I chose to do music at school as an elective because I didn’t want to do cooking or textiles. Music seemed like the only 'cool' one left. I started learning and playing the drums. Turns out I got pretty good in that short time and I loved it. Long story short - from there I got into listening to bands/musicians/artists way more and developed my interest in other instruments. I started playing guitar shortly after that and never looked back.

If you had to choose an era where you could go back in time and perform as a live musician, when would it be and why?

Definitely the late 70s/early 80s. The disco period would have been fun, but that post disco/electronic funk period would have been awesome. I think I would've fitted right in there somewhere alongside Prince.

What is your favourite album of all time?

I can’t say, it changes every week. But, I'm not really an 'album' guy. I’m a 'song' guy. For now I'm going to say Prince's Sign 'O' The Times.

“If someone were to raid my music collection, they would be most surprised to find...”

…a staggering amount of cliché pop songs from the 80s. Fortunately, no 80's rock power ballads. There’ll be none of that!

Famous last words...

“A little bit of something, is better than a whole lot of nothing.” I live by this quote when recording and producing.


  • MTD
  • +