CVIRO


In a considerably short space of time Australian vocalist and music producer, CVIRO (pronounced CAIRO), has tactfully introduced his smouldering and uncensored sounds to R&B enthusiasts on an international scale, particularly those who have appreciated the revival of this genre in a more contempory electronic setting. Described as seductive, soul-stripping and bold, and garnering attention from online music linchpins Earmilk, Hypetrak and The Music Ninja, the Gold Coast vocalist enters 2014 with many of his debut impressions already cemented.

Apart from his captivation with women and the draw of a good high, CVIRO also has a concentrated eye on filmic narratives and his visual storytelling is as compelling and seductive as its themes suggest; life replicating art, or vice versa. In between studio time in both LA and Australia, CVIRO shared some time discussing his debut album-length EP, Elevation, and why he has decided to invite the public into his bedroom.


Elevation is a very personal recording - many references to love, drugs, infidelity and relationships. Were you worried about giving too much away personally for your debut release?

Creating this record was a very therapeutic process for me as I had a lot to get off my chest and I was able to say things that I wasn't able to verbalise to certain people. It was never a worry for me. My intention for this EP was to bring people into my world and experience my life at that time. That’s why the layout, soundscape and storyline is very consistent throughout the whole project.

And you make it no secret on this record that you have an eye for the ladies; sometimes an unintentional shortcoming. Do you think your life would be much easier without women?

I definitely think I would be more focused but I cannot imagine a world without them. Women are my main source of my inspiration and motivation. They are the reason why I do what I do. 

You’ve mentioned in previous interviews that you’re “stuck in the wrong (music) era”. Do you think that 90’s R’n’B has a bit of an inherent stigma attached to it? 

Not at all. I think that the 90s was a great era for R’n’B, and now with acts like STWO, Ta-ku, Kaytranada and Sango taking classic records and rejuvenating them, the 90's influence is back - not just with music but with fashion as well. I’m glad I studied it heavy when I was a kid. Now I can be one of the pioneers with this 90's-inspired sound.

Apart from The Weeknd, which you’ve been compared to, which other bands do you think have struck the right balance between traditional R’n’B and the present wave of electronic and PBR&B forms?

There is a whole movement right now starting with my boy, GXNXVS, the whole Soulection crew and Huh What & Where; artists that are bringing that perfect balance of traditional R’n’B and electronic music. It is a very exciting time for me - not just as an artist but as a fan of this music as well.



Your video clips are almost like snap shots of a large feature. Are you in charge of the cinematography and how are visual concepts arranged beyond song format?

With the video clips we definitely wanted it to feel like a cinematic experience. With all the songs I create I always have a very in-depth visual concept to go along with the song but I usually don't have the budget for my extravagant ideas! The two clips that I have released so far have been shot by a close friend of mine, RICO. We definitely bounced concepts and ideas off each other but I had a lot of faith in him and let him take the lead on both clips. The dude is a genius.

You spent some time in LA last year creating some leads. Will you be recording/mixing some of your next EP there?

I just got back from LA recently and will definitely be back soon. I’m in the process of recording my next EP but I am hoping to spend a couple of weeks in Tokyo to get some recording done out there. It is a very inspirational city.

How much closer are you to making Jhene Aiko your wife?

Seriously, I feel like it’s getting further out of my reach. I noticed that Childish Gambino has been attempting to wife her up for the last few months. I also recently watched Drake's SNL performance with Jhene and he was making some moves on her. I need a hit record ASAP before these guys rob me of my chance.

What's been the most valuable piece of advice that’s been handed down to you?

One thing that has stuck with me since I was kid was my dad telling me of the importance of a great melody in a song and how a great melody can be timeless. I am always conscience of this when making music and I am forever searching for that perfect melody.


  • MTD
  • +